Edit: The system is hell-bent on re-uploading those second two images and destroying them. Please take a look at the DeviantArt uploads of those images to see them correctly:
Anyway, a few thoughts on this... First of all, this is more of an experiment than anything else. I started working on this because I found an old doll of mine that I could use a a pose reference and I was eager to try using it. Because of the idea I wound up with though, it turned into quite a bit more then just that...
Honestly, I know I'm bad at backgrounds, especially when it comes to their colors. I'm so bad at picking good background colors that frankly it's plain embarrassing, but I'll never get anywhere if I don't try. And now, since I've decided to start studying values, there's no better time to start.
As for my plans with this piece... Well, actually for the first time I feel like I can figure out how to get this whole values thing to work. It's looking like it's going to end up being a case where I started with color, then I grayscale it, and then I start layering colors on top of that.... It'll be a messy process, but that's generally what I wind up doing when I'm learning something completely new to me. Who knows, though - I'm just gonna see which way the wind blows on this one.
I'll also mention that yeah, I scaled the building in the third image. Kind of a lazy job, I didn't even fix the shading to match, but it still helped a lot with the perspective. I'm not going to do any more work on this at the moment though - I'm so tired I can barely organize my thoughts.