Since they released the retopology course here at CGCookie I decided to do a little retopology practice myself. Along with trying my hand at low poly hair modelling. Retopo went really well, the low poly hair on the other hand... lol
I think my hair texture has a "dirty" alpha channel. I also tried a different approach to creating hair textures I did a render of some strand hair I did emitting from a plane in blender. Not sure if it was the strand approach or the fact that I added the hair texture over my exported uv map for the unwrapped hair polys. But it didn't turn out as expected.
Image of the hair strands I used for testing. I could have added a lot more variation but have to crawl before you can walk.
Here's the head I retopo'd from my female sculpt practice. I did some quick unwrapping and texture painting in blender to make it a little more lifelike.
A shot of hair from the back, I know it needed more layering but I was beginning to get frustrated by the smokey look to the alpha in the texture. Some of the uv's are also a bit stretched so the resolution looks bad I had redone the uv's a few dozen times already at this point. A couple of times it turned out far better but I was trying to adjust around the odd look to the alpha and it didn't occur to me until later that perhaps my alpha channel wasn't as "transparent" as I thought it was lol.
Good exercise for practice and learned lots by the attempt so my time felt well spent even when considering the frustrations
Oops forgot the wireframe render